SAFY therapeutic foster care provides emotional, behavioral and social support for foster youth and families
SAFY therapeutic foster care (TFC) services support youth from infant to age 18+ with behavioral health challenges and special medical needs including autism. We provide therapeutic foster care assistance to manage complex trauma issues stemming from abuse and/or neglect and removal from their home environment.
By focusing on youth, parents and families, SAFY's therapeutic foster care services address the physical, emotional and social needs of children and youth in a supportive family setting until the primary family can be reunited or until a permanent placement through adoption or kinship adoption is arranged.How does therapeutic foster care differ from traditional foster care?
The primary differences between SAFY’s traditional foster care model and SAFY’s therapeutic foster care model include more targeted treatment goals, additional focus on needs of both youth and parents, clinical staff support and supplementary foster parent training requirements. Therapeutic foster care provides treatment level care to youth with complex trauma issues in a safe, family-centered environment. Click here to learn more about becoming a SAFY foster parent.
|SAFY Traditional Foster Care||SAFY Therapeutic or Treatment Foster Care|
|Goal||Care and protection with focus of change on parents. Treatment occurs outside of the foster home.||Child requires treatment-level care with focus of change on both parents and youth. Care provided in a family environment.|
|Focus of Services||Permanency, safety and well-being||Permanency, safety and well-being in addition to trauma healing, parent skill building, school success and coping skills.|
|Staff Support||One foster care worker assigned to a child and foster parent.||Highly-qualified clinical staff support and train foster parents, biological parents and youth providing 24/7 crisis support.|
|Qualifications||Complete SAFY foster care training||Accredited by the Council on Accreditation. Practices consistent with Foster Family-based Treatment standards.|
How SAFY supports youth
We take pride in learning the needs of each child in our care. Each SAFY youth is provided an individualized treatment plan with the youth involvement to ensure he or she achieves their development goals.
- A bio on the foster family they are placed with
- My Stuff Bags from the My Stuff Bags Foundation
- My life album
- Individualized treatment plan
- One-on-one therapy with a certified SAFY therapist
- Youth-focused family activities and events (movie nights, sporting events, picnics, annual holiday party and more)
- Age-appropriate development and life skills coaching, guidance and training
- Support with advocating for youth needs in school, court and community
How SAFY supports foster parents
- Specialized training
- Support in the home
- Respite care
- Financial reimbursement of child-related costs
- Therapy with the child and all family members, when appropriate
- 24/7 emergency on-call services
- Mentoring network for parents
- Support with youth needs
- Family events and activities
- Annual foster parent conferences
- Assistance with transportation as needed
SAFY resources for care professionals:
SAFY therapeutic foster care model promotes permanency, safety and well-being. The therapeutic foster care model is a holistic approach to delivering care that produces positive, sustainable change in the lives of families and youth.
The five primary components for our therapeutic foster care model include:
1. Foster parent and staff support development
2. Treatment plans and interventions
3. Youth support and development
4. Biological family engagement
5. External stakeholder relationships
SAFY Therapeutic Foster Care services support youth from newborn to age 18+ with cognitive or behavioral challenges, developmental delays, aggressive behaviors, and special medical needs including autism. SAFY Therapeutic Foster Care provides assistance to manage complex trauma issues stemming from abuse and/or neglect and removal from their home environment.
As a result of our care:
of foster youth feel more positive about their future.*
of foster youth say they are treated with dignity and respect.*
of foster youth participated in their treatment plan.*
*SAFY 2014 Client Satisfaction Survey